Director Medical Education Research Punjab
JIPMER is a residential medical institution with its own campus spread over 195 acres (0.79 km2). It has about 200 faculty and 360 resident physicians and over 3, 000 nursing, administrative and support staff. Every year it admits 145 undergraduate students and 75 postgraduate students.
JIPMER originated on 1 January 1823 as "Ecole de Médicine de Pondichéry, " a medical school established by the French imperial government in India to train French citizens in Pondichéry. In 1956 the government of India took over administration of Puducherry from the French and renamed it as "Dhanvantri Medical College". After Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru's (who laid the foundation stone after Indian government's takeover of the institution) death on May 27, 1964, it was again renamed to "Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research" (JIPMER) (on 13 July 1964).
In 1863, a medical college called the Ecole de Médicine de Pondichéry was established by the French government in Pondicherry. It was one of the earliest institutions of tropical medicine and the teaching staff consisted of surgeons and doctors of the French navy and troupes colones. Students who were trained here were granted a diploma called Médicin Locale that allowed them to practice medicine in the colonial territories. With the de jure transfer of Puducherry to India, the Government of India took over the college and renamed it simply Medical College, Pondicherry. For a short period, it was called the Dhanvantri Medical College and, on July 13, 1964, it was rechristened as the Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research. Today, the institution is universally known by the acronym JIPMER.
Under the French, the college was located in the heart of the town of Pondicherry in the modified buildings of the high court, opposite Le place de Gaulle, which is now the Legislative Assembly Hall. In 1959, SE Le Comte Stanislas Ostrorog, Ambassadeur de France aux Indes, laid the foundation stone of the new medical college building that was located on the outskirts of the town and, in 1964, the college moved to its new campus at Gorimedu.
The campus of JIPMER lies at the western entrance of Pondicherry and spreads across 195 acres (0.79 km2) of a picturesque hillock known locally as Gorimedu. The campus contains the medical college, the old and new hospital blocks, the student and resident hostels, the staff quarters, a branch of a nationalised bank, two ATM's, a post office, a temple, playgrounds and sporting fields. Broad tree-lined roads crisscross the campus and the lush tropical vegetation forms a green canopy that hides most buildings on campus. While the hospital section of the campus is typically crowded and busy, the residential part of the campus is quiet and idyllic, punctuated with small parks, hidden statues and secluded spots.
You might also like
Medical Music Therapy: A Model Program for Clinical Practice, Education, Training, and Research
Book (American Music Therapy Association, Inc)
25 things for spine surgeons to know about the Sunshine Act — Becker's Orthopedic & Spine
The proposed Physician Fee Schedule for 2015 includes changes to the Sunshine Act for payments when physicians are speaking at Continuing Medical Education programs, which could have unintended consequences on the medical education landscape.
Who is the education director at NYU Medical
You can contact them at:NYU Langone Medical Center | Address: 550 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016 | Phone: (212) 263-7300.