Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education Kolkata
IPGME&R was inaugurated by Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru, the then Prime Minister of India, on 16th January, 1957. History of IPGME&R - Way back in 1707, the first hospital in Calcutta was built in the premises of the Old Fort at Gerstein Place. The Council of Fort William constructed this hospital. This hospital, initially built for the Europeans, was then known as Presidency Hospital.
The hospital was accommodated in a single storied building. Later, in 1768, two houses were purchased in Lower Circular Road for converting them into a full fledged hospital. Located near the Presidency Jail, the hospital came to be known as Presidency General Hospital. Doors were opened to the non-European patients from 2nd April 1770. The Presidency General Hospital was best known as PG Hospital till 1954 when it was named in the Independent India, as Seth Sukhlal Karnani Memorial Hospital. The naming was done to commemorate the name of the great donor Sukhlal Karnani. People started addressing the Hospital as SSKM Hospital.
It was then a practice that the Indian medical graduates used to go abroad for studying post graduation and higher medical research. Government felt necessary of opening Post Graduate Medical Learning Centers. PG Hospital was honoured to be the first Post Graduate Medical Institute in Eastern India in 1957.
How Doctors Think
Book (Mariner Books)
IOM Graduate Medical Education Report: Better Aligning GME Funding With .. — Health Affairs
The report and recommendations recognize and build upon the existing infrastructure overseeing medical education, training, credentialing and licensure.
NYU Langone Medical Center Partners with Education Leader Kaplan, Inc., to .. — Newswise
We look forward to supporting health practitioners through high-quality, interactive medical education training programs that improve patient outcomes and increase ROI for health systems.” As the program continues, additional clinical conditions will ..